Friday, May 15, 2009

Virginia is for Lovers...

It really is! So our first few weeks have been a bit rough. We had some drama at the airport...some big drama. In the stress of it all packing up our apartment, driving out to California, not having a place to live still yours truly forgot the date we had bought tickets. We were suppose to flight out on Wednesday not the Friday we showed up to the airport. It was bad, really bad. The airline couldn't help us so my amazing dad came to the rescue. I was seriously heartbroken that he had to pay full price that day to flight us to DC.

I cried the entire plane ride to Salt Lake City where we had a quick lay over. My dad kept reassuring me it was okay, but I felt like such a loser and just sobbed for a good hour. Once we finally got there it was really an out of body experience. It was humid and we were lost. We rented a car and with our 4 pieces of luggage (the only things we brought for the entire summer) and headed out check out a place to live.

Yes at that moment we were still homeless...it was nerve racking especially because we had limited funds and no place to really sleep for the long term. It was so different looking...green green everywhere! The foliage back east is amazing, and the freeways are killer for outsiders.

We made it to this little home about 10 minutes outside of D.C. which would eveuntally come our "home." There was a little Hispanic lady that answered the door, it was overwhelming to me and Larry did most of the talking. We looked at the tiny basement and realized we would be sharing the kitchen with them...Larry said okay. I couldn't believe it... I did not want to live there but Larry pointed out that no one would rent to us for such a short 4 months.

We left to go stay at Larry's childhood friends house in Maryland for the night and once again I sobbed for a good hour. I was lost, homesick, jet lagged and worried. We went back to live in our "home" a day later and set up our tiny place with an air mattress, 2 towels, and our clothes that is it. We drove our rental car back to the airport and attempted taking the metro home. Figuring out how to pay and get a ticket took a while and finally giving up and asking for help. We went the wrong way once and then figured out how to get back. We also had to catch a bus because it was the weekend...little did I know then how much I would learn about the transit system.

These first few weeks have been overwhelming. I feel so lost and homesick. I really have never felt this way. Larry has started his job and is liking it a lot. He has met some great people is even driving to work with one of the women we rent from.Hopefully I can find some work and adventure out of here in the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment